Public Notices

Stay up-to-date on COVID-19

Amidst a sea of information, the Village of Oil Springs recommends the following sources for accurate and up-to-date information about the COVID-19 Pandemic:

Province of Ontario provides this information site

Lambton Public Health is providing current information about COVID-19 at this site

COVID-19 Lambton County Community Resources: Click here

Message from your police service

The safety of all Ontarians is the OPP’s top priority. There are currently no changes to our frontline operations.

Report less serious incidents online at For non-emergencies call 1-888-310-1122.

In case of emergency, call 911.

The OPP encourages businesses to voluntarily comply with all short-term restrictions. Education, awareness and compliance are preferred options, but officers will apply discretion whether to launch any enforcement actions such as:

  • Offences relating to non-essential businesses that remain open in contravention of the Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act. (EMCPA).
  • Offences relating to gatherings of more than five people in contravention of the EMCPA.
  • Quarantine Act violations at the request of a screening officer or quarantine officer.

What are essential businesses?

Essential businesses include, but are not limited to:

  • grocery stores and pharmacies
  • telecommunications and IT infrastructure service providers
  • businesses that support power generation, natural gas distribution and clean drinking water

Essential businesses are being asked to put into place any and all measures to safeguard the well-being of their employees on the frontlines. A list of essential businesses can be found on the Government of Ontario website.

The following establishments are required to remain closed until further notice:

  • Bars and restaurants, except to the extent that such facilities provide takeout and food delivery
  • Facilities providing indoor recreational programs
  • Public libraries
  • Private schools
  • Licensed child care centres
  • Movie cinemas and all theatres, including those offering live performances of music, dance and other art forms
  • Concert venues
  • Communal or shared, public or private outdoor recreational amenities

If you wish to file a report regarding a non-essential business remaining open, contact your police service of jurisdiction. If that is the OPP, call 1-888-310-1122 or your local OPP detachment.

If you wish to file a report regarding non-compliance under the Quarantine Act, contact Public Health Agency of Canada.

If I have to close my business, how do I keep it safe?

Here’s some tips for business owners impacted by the closures, in an effort to ensure your property is less attractive to thieves.

  • Remove all valuables from storefront displays
  • Remove all cash from tills and leave open with the cash tray out and visibly empty
  • Ensure alarm systems are working and all contact lists are up to date
  • Post on doors and windows that the premises are monitored by an alarm company and that no money is kept on the premises

Are there COVID-19 scammers out there?

It’s important to give and to receive help during challenging times such as COVID-19. But can you trust just anyone?

Be mindful when accepting offers for help. Minimize risks by relying on family, friends and neighbours for support. Beware when accepting offers from unfamiliar people, who may see these challenging times as an opportunity to take advantage of those in need.

If you receive a call from a business or government agency asking you for money or personal information, hang up, do research and talk to those you trust. Cybercriminals are capitalizing on public concern surrounding the COVID-19 outbreak with increasing numbers of phishing attacks through email, text message and telephone – with the end goal of stealing information and delivering malware.

These phishing attacks include communications through call, text or email, camouflaged to appear as originating from legitimate organizations, OPP or OPP officials, asking recipients to share sensitive information such as usernames and passwords or to open malicious attachments or transfer funds.

A list of identified COVID-19/coronavirus-related scams is available from the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre.

If you are the victim of a scam, it’s crucial to report it to both the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre and your police service of jurisdiction. If that is the OPP, visit

Go to the Government of Canada website for information and resources on how to be prepared during the COVID-19 outbreak.

From physical distancing to buying only what you need, during times of crisis we all need to work together to flatten the curve and keep our communities safe.


The Village of Oil Spring has declared a state of emergency:

Declaration of Emergency COVID-19

COVID-19 Information

The Village of Oil Springs is monitoring all developments related to the COVID-19 outbreak. If you are experiencing any symptoms related to this or any illness, please limit all activities to those that are essential. Currently, there are no known cases of the COVID-19 virus within the County of Lambton.

If you have travelled from Hubei Province (China), Iran or Italy within the last 14 days or have had close contact with a person ill with COVID-19, please self-isolate and contact Lambton Public Health at (519) 383-8331 within 24 hours of known exposure.

If you have travelled from anywhere else outside Canada, please monitor your health for symptoms of COVID-19 (e.g. fever, cough or difficulty breathing) for 14 days after you arrive back in Canada. If you develop symptoms, self isolate and contact Telehealth Ontario at 1-866-797-0000. Canadians are also advised to avoid all cruise ship travel.

Southwest Transportation Plan (MTO) seeks feedback 

Connecting the Southwest: A Draft Plan for Southwestern Ontario.

The Ministry of Transportation, Transportation Planning Branch is conducting an online survey until March 17, 2020 and asked that we share information about Connecting the Southwest: A Draft Plan for Southwestern Ontario and the survey with the community. This is a living document and will require continuing input, updates and improvements to stay relevant as the needs of people and businesses evolve over time and as technology advances. To help MTO achieve this, they need to hear from you.

If you have any questions, please reach out to us at

Click here to see the 2018 Election Candidates Finances Report



Fraud Prevention Program

Sponsored by Lambton Group Police Services Board

Click here for details


No Parking

The Village of Oil Springs is asking as a reminder to the residents please do not park on the roadways during days/nights where snow is expected to accumulate. This will ensure our snow removal services is performed to the upmost ability of our staff.

Also as a reminder By-law No. 701 of 2016 is an updated Parking By-law that is in place, that prohibits parking year round between 2am – 6am on Village roadways/streets. Any person who contravenes any provision of the by-law is guilty of an offence and on conviction, is liable to a fine as provided for in Section 61 of the Provincial Offences Act, R.S.O. 1990 c.P.33, Chapter P.33, Schedule “A” of By-law No. 701-2016 and under the Highway Traffic Act, R.S.O. 1990, c.H.8.

Please help us do our part by doing yours. Thank you


New Electricity Low Income Support Program (OESP) Information

Click the link below to see if you qualify for this program.




Door-to-Door Salesman

If you are approached to sign or renew a gas or electricity contract for your home or small business, it’s important to know who you’re dealing with. Energy company salespeople must wear an ID badge and give you a business card.

Four things to remember if you are approached to sign an energy contract:

Always make sure you get a business card and look at the salesperson’s ID badge first

Don’t share personal information (i.e. your gas or electricity bill) unless you are sure you want to sign a contract

Carefully read the contract, disclosure statement and price comparison provided by the salesperson

The Ontario Energy Board does not go door to door


Are you a residential consumer and considering an energy contract? Our tip sheets can help you make the choice that’s right for you.

  1. Before Signing an Energy Contract: What You Should Consider
  2. After Signing an Energy Contract: The Right to Review Your Decision
  3. Nearing the End of an Energy Contract: How Renewals Work

This information has been provided by the Ontario Energy Board

To submit a question or complaint to the Ontario Energy Board, please click here.

To All Property Owners
Long Grass & Weed Control

thistleUnder the Weed Control Act, R.S.O. 1990, Chapter W.5 Section 3, 16, 22 and 23 are requested to destroy all noxious weeds on your property.  If weeds are not destroyed, the Act allows the municipality to enter upon the said land(s) and have the noxious weeds or weed seeds destroyed charging the costs to the landowner.  All property owners in the Village of Oil Springs are responsible for the control of the long grass and weeds on their properties from the 15th day of May, 2019, and continuing through the growing season.

If the owner fails to pay the cost thereof to the Corporation within thirty days of the mailing account, the Corporation may add the costs to the municipal taxes to be levied against the property on the next tax roll of the Corporation and the same shall be recoverable in the same manner as municipal taxes. The co-operation of all property owners in this matter will be appreciated.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the Municipal Office 519-834-2939

IMGP0264Prohibition of Smoking on Sporting Areas, Spectator Areas, Playground Areas as January 1, 2015

As of January 1, 2015 it is illegal to smoke within 20 metres of playgrounds and public sport fields and surfaces.

Prohibition of Smoking on Sporting Areas and Spectator Areas

Smoking will be prohibited within a 20 metre radius around sports fields, sports surfaces, and spectator areas.

Sporting Areas:  defined to include (a) an area that is provincially or municipally owned and includes a sporting area on a post-secondary campus, (b) that is primarily used for the purposes of sports as set out in the sporting areas listed below, and (c) is open to the public (whether or not a fee is charged for entry).

Prohibition of Smoking on Playgrounds

Smoking will be prohibited on children’s playgrounds and all public areas within 20 metres of any point on the perimeter of a children’s playground.

Playground: an area that is primarily used for the purpose of children’s recreation, fitted with children’s play equipment, open to the public (whether or not a fee is charged for entry), and not part of a residential


mycnnMy Community Notification Network (MyCNN) alert system

My Community Notification Network is a local alerting system that contacts subscribers using multiple communications methods of their choice, such as telephones, cell phones, emails and texts.  As a subscriber, you can choose to receive notifications about events that affect your home, workplace, school and more.

Subscribers will receive alerts for tornado warnings, drinking water emergencies, shelter-in-place advisories and evacuation advisories.  As the system develops, subscribers will have the option to choose to receive notifications for other events such as road closures and municipal service disruptions.

There is no cost to subscribe – the CAER organization is funding the system and has made it available to all municipalities in Lambton County to use for local public alerting.  Alert messages will be sent by municipal, County or emergency officials.

Subscriber information is not managed by the CAER organization – information you provide will not be shared by municipal officials.  You can deactivate your account at any time by removing your contact information from your profile.

In order to receive MyCNN notifications, you will need to visit the CAER website and create an account.  Please note that all types of notifications may not be available for all municipalities.

To visit the CAER website, go to:

If you have any further questions, please contact the municipal office 519-834-2939

ORVOntario Increasing On-Road Access for Off-Road and All-Terrain Vehicles

New Rules Will Also Strengthen Safety Requirements for Riders

June 8, 2015 1:00 P.M.

Ontario is enhancing on-road access for more types of off-road vehicles (ORVs) and all-terrain vehicles (ATVs) while increasing safety requirements for riders.

Beginning July 1, 2015, the province is implementing the following changes to ensure that ORV and ATV riders safely reach their destination:

  • More types of ORVs and ATVs, including two-up ATVs, side-by-side ATVs and utility-terrain vehicles (UTVs), will be allowed to use the shoulder of public roads.
  • All riders — including drivers and passengers of all ages — will have to wear a helmet and use a seatbelt or foot rests, where applicable

This month, the province is promoting the new rules before they come in force July 1st, 2015 to ensure that municipalities have enough time to make necessary by-law amendments and to remind riders and drivers about the change.

The province is also allowing an education period to take place between July 1 to Sept. 1, 2015, before violation tickets are issued. However, during this time police officers may still lay a charge through a summons.

Ontario is home to thousands of kilometres of recreational trails making it a popular destination for riders from across Canada and the world. The province consulted with a wide array of trail, municipal, industry, enforcement, as well as health and safety stakeholders to ensure the rules strike the right balance.

Enhancing Ontario’s tourism and recreational opportunities is part of the government’s plan for Ontario. The four-part plan includes investing in people’s talents and skills, making the largest investment in public infrastructure in Ontario’s history, creating a dynamic, innovative environment where business thrives, and building a secure retirement savings plan.


” Our government recognizes the importance of a vibrant, sustainable and safe powersports sector in Ontario, and we support providing Ontarians with more options to safely explore our vast province.” – Steven Del Duca Minister of Transportation


  • Off-road vehicle (ORVs) is a broad term that can include single-rider, two-up and side-by-side ATVs and utility terrain vehicles.
  • Drivers operating a permitted ORV along a road or highway must hold at least a G2 or M2 driver’s licence, and their vehicle must be registered and insured.
  • Previous to July 1, 2015, only single-rider ATV’s could operate along certain provincial and municipal highways.

Click here to read the Village of Oil Springs By-law regulating Off-Road Vehicles

Will it Flush??

Click on the video above to learn how “bio-degradable” items are

Toilets Are Not Garbage Cans

Did you know?Draining toilet

Everything put in your toilet or drain goes to a wastewater treatment facility that is designed to treat human wastes, toilet paper and wastewater only.

Flushing paper towels and other garbage down the toilet can create sewer backups and overflows.

Medicines flushed down toilets can end up in streams, rivers and lakes.

Pouring fats, oils and grease down the drain can cause problems for your home’s plumbing as well as the Village’s sewer system. Blockages due to grease can cause damage to homes including basement flooding, create health hazards and degrade our environment.

Tips to dispose of waste properly:

Scrape all food scraps into a composter or garbage can, not down the sink or toilet.

Properly dispose of all plastics, rubber and paper products by placing them in a recycling bin or garbage can.

Never flush medication down the toilet. Please dispose of items properly by returning them to the pharmacy.

Never pour solvents, paint, gasoline, used motor oil or house cleaners down the drains, sewers or onto the ground outside. Please bring these liquids to Household Hazardous Waste Days.

Pour excess cooking fats and oils in an empty can and store in the fridge. The liquid will harden to form a solid and can be disposed of in the garbage can.

Clean up grease spills using an absorbent material (e.g. paper towel) and place it in your household garbage can.

Train your family members in good environmental practices.

If you have any further questions or comments, please contact the municipal office 519-834-2939